Thursday, January 18, 2007

New Haven, Ky., Letters of Pvt. Sam Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Civil War

December 15, 1861

New Haven, Kentucky

Dear Wife:

I am well at present hoping these few lines may find you enjoying the same blessing. I received your letter the other night by mail and one before that by the hands of T.C. Price. I was glad to hear that you were well. You said that if I would come home Christmas you would have a turkey. Such, howsoever, would suit me first rate, but no go as we are on the march for some unknown part to me. But one thing is certain we will go somewhere. I expect that we will meet General Buckner some of these days, but no telling. Lizzie I came the nearest having nothing to write that I saw, but if I was there I could tell you a few things that you don't know. You said that you had subscribed for some tomb stones and you like to know what I have to say about it. As far as I am concerned I have no objections. If you get the right kind and they don't cost too much. You said the price was six dollars. I cannot tell whether that will be too much, or not owing to the quality. I received a letter from Leon the other day. He says that you look better than you did when I left. I am pleased to learn that you are in so good health. Better that way then to be moping around like the dead lice was dropping off of you. I think that I will weight more now than I did when I left home. I weighed in Virginia 12 pounds more than I did when I left home. Lizzie hold up your head as though I was there. Sometime you know you would like for me to be there but live in hope. Give my respects to all enquiring friends and relation. Kiss Ellen and Joe for me. I remain your husband,

Signed: S.T. Smith



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home