Tuesday, January 09, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

(to really appreciate these letters, start at the beginning of these letters. Scroll down! I have presented these letters just as Pvt. Smith wrote them. He seldom had stationary, so he wrote on any paper he could find, including wall paper. In these letters about his duty in then Virginia, now West Virginia, realize he and the other soldiers faced harsh mounain weather to include cold, rain and sleet--often without tents and with only, maybe a blanket. Anyway read them all as I present them. You will come to like Pvt. Smith.)
August 28, 1961

Elk Fork Camp

Randolph County, Va.

My Dear Wife:

I recieved yours of the 15th that gave me great satisfaction to know that you were all well and the stamps that you sent me. They looked as large to me as five dollar bills, almost. I am in tolerable health at present. I don't think that I am as heavy as I was when I left by 10 or 15 pounds. I know that I am not as stout as by a good deal. I have been on duty all the time when I was called on. You wrote too that you had written for my state pay. I would be glad that you could get it, but that will be impossible. I guess that I will have to recieve it myself and receipt for the same. If I knew who the paymaster would be perhaps I could fix so you could get it as I would rather you would have it than myself. As I think it very near impossible to send money home, specially any amount worth naming, as it is very uncertain sending oney from here home. I would not mind to send a dollar at a time but that would not do you much good. If I had the chance you would get my wedges as fast as I could get them myself as you need the money and I don't. I expect to get some money pretty soon and if I have any chance to send it to you I will do so. It may be that Pete, myself and Joe Greer may get a check and send it here to be divided among you. I have not said anything to either of them but I think it would suit them both. I may get my state pay when I get my first pay from the United States, but I don't know whether I will or not. I would rather you get it than for it to come here. We have not had a fight yet. I understand that one Company run themselves in danger today but got out safe, I think. I understand that there is a part of General Lee's troops that worked way back between us and Clarksburg to try to cut off our supplies, but we will catch them at it. I now got orders to have my gun in trim tonight as they don't know but what we will have to go out on double quick. If they want anything out of us let them pitch in, we will give the best we have. We have seven pieces of cannon here at this time. There are so many lies in Camp that I don't believe anything I hear. It is the greatest place to manufacture lies that I ever saw. There is some more weary news about going home in Camp this evening, but as for my part, I am easy about it, but I don't think we will come home until the war is over. Lizzie you must be cheerful, hold up your head as though you were not alone. Give my respects to all friends and relation. Tell Joe to be a good boy. No more at present, but remember your husband,

Signed: Sam T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home