Thursday, January 11, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, Letters of Private Sam T. Smith 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, in Berber County Virginia

October 27, 1861
Beverly,
Berber County, Virginia
My Dear Wife:

I take the opportunity to drop you a few lines to let you know that I am well at present hoping these few lines may find you enjoying the same blessing. I am about 18 miles from Camp with some others working the road and have been for 12 days and don't know how much longer we will be out yet and I don't care for we have plenty to eat and don't have to work very hard. Lizzie I sent $20.00 to you in treasury notes by express and I suppose that you have got by this time. I started $20 in gold by Charles G. Berry that you will get next week. I want you to see Phebe Smith and if she need some money let her have $10.00 and write and let me know whether she gets it or not. Pete is well and out on the road with us. I want you to take care of the money that I send you and not spend it for nothing only what you really need. I wrote a letter to Mr. Helmer the other day and told him to engage your winter's wood. I told him to engage 16 cord. I think he had better get 18. Tell him to not take it by the load but have it well corded either in the woods or at the wood pile. I think I can send you some more money soon. I have nothing of interest to write as there is no more on either side taking place. We are beginning to have some tolerable cold weather in Virginia. Not so cold that we suffer very much. I think that it will be so shortly. Lizzie I want to write often for I have not from you for some time. Write and tell me what has become of L.S. Smith. He certainly has gone up for 90 days as I can't hear from him. There is one thing certain, if he doesn't want to write to me he can let it alone. I wrote to him a good spell ago and if he did not et the letter, I can excuse him for not writing I have written all that I have for this time so I will come to a close. Give my respect to all enquiring friends and relation. Lizzie take care of yourself. Kiss Joe and Ellen for me. So nothing more at present, but I remain your husband until death,

Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith

P.S. Since writing the above, I recieved a letter from you which gave me some satisfaction. You said that you understood that I had nothing to eat, but I have plenty such as it is. What I have to eat will stick to the ribs and that is good enough. You said that Leon had written to me, but I have not recieved it nor the envelope, but I have plenty of them at this time. You said that if I would come home you would cook something for me to eat. That would suit Sam.you might guess. Pete said for you to let Phebe have that money whether she needed it or not. See her as quick as possible and give it to her. Write soon and often. I would like for you to write every mail, Yours with truly, Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home