Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Near Louisville, Ky. On the Way to Missionary Ridge, Letters of Pvt. Sam Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

December 8, 1861
Camp Buell
Near Louisville, Ky.

Mrs. Smith:

I am well at present hoping these lines may find you well and doing well. You said that you were glad when you heard I was going to leave the mountains. You were no more pleased that I was. When I landed here things looked strange to me to see the sun when it raised. It was so low. We have fine weather here. At this time it looks more like summer now than it did in August in Virginia. Although it does look some like rain at this time. I received a letter from you and Abe yesterday which pleased me some, but I would have been better pleased if I could come home. But impossible at present. Lizzie I have very near looked my eyes out. I looked so steady for some folks from Springville, but they do not come. There were some folks from Martin County and Green County, and I think that some of the Springvillians might have come, but I think they have a pickarine to well. I don't know another reason. Give me a chance they have and see if I don't come and see them. Garett Browning is here today. I could name several that has been here. They thought enough of their friends. But if any wanted to come now it is too late as I understand that we are under marching orders tomorrow morning but where to I cannot tell, but it is somewhere South of here. They say that there are some Rebels there that we have to take a peep at. Doctor Pendley is at New Albany sick at the hospital, and I can't get a chance to go and see him. I received a letter from Short day before yesterday, which made me glad to get a letter any time, but I get very few of them. I am sure that I write more than I get answers to. I am glad that you got those apples and towels, but sorry that one of the packages of them was broke to pieces. It made me laugh when I heard that Ellen snatched the largest one and said that it was mine. Lizzie I want you to write me and tell me all about everything and if you have money to spare I want you to pay B. Worley five dollars. If you can't pay him that much pay him what you can and oblige me. But if you have none to spare keep it all for yourself. I will send money home as I draw it if an opportunity presents itself. Lizzie I want you to take good care of yourself and the children and let us live in a way so that if we never meet in this world again that we may meet in a better world where there is no trouble nor war but peace and happiness, no Rebels to oppose us or to raise with their arms against us. May the time come that they may be bound down hand and foot, but may the Stars and Strips wave over the land of the free and all over these United States. That all traitors may get what is due them. I will have to come to a close as I have not much room. Give my respects to all enquiring friends and relation. May God bless you all. Be of good Cheer as we don't know whether we will see each other soon and perhaps never but live in hope. I still remain your husband,
Signed: S.T. Smith to E. Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home