Saturday, January 06, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

(Editor's note: these letters begin on April 20, 1861. To get the true sense of Sam and how his military service began, go to that letter.)

July 3, 1861
Camp Clay, Ohio
Near Cincinnati

Dear Wife:

I am well at present hoping these few lines may find you all well. We left Indianapolis, Indiana last Monday and landed her Tuesday. We were received very kindly at Cincinnati. When we got there the citizens had breakfast ready for us. there were two Regiments who ate there. It appeared that they could not be kind enough to us. When we were done eating they said for us to fill our haver sacks full for there was plenty. When we will leave here I can not tell. We have got no money yet. We are camped on the brink of the Ohio River. I can look across the river and see my native State. I have not seen any secessionist yet. I have nothing more of importance to write until next time. You need not write until I tell you to. Give my bet respects to all enquiring friends and relation. I want you to keep in good spirits for you know how things may turn up as well as I do. No more at present but remain your husband,

Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home