Monday, January 08, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

August 19, 1861

Elk Fork Camp

Tygret Valley, Virginia

My Dear Wife:

I take the opportunity to write to you again not being satisfied with what I wrote in Leon's letter. I am well at this time hoping these few lines may find you enjoying the same blessing. We are laying here without a fight yet. We are still throwing up fortifications yet. I have nothing of importance to write as nothing of note has transpired. Josh Brazelton is sick at the hospital. A.J. Wilson is sick and is there too. They (say) he will die. The most of the boys in our Company are well. Lieutenant Dean is laying behind me, gasing with some of the boys. The talk is going around the Camp about coming home in three months from the time we ware mustered in the service, but as for my part, I don't know anything about it, nor I don't care anything about it. If we come home, we will be there and if we don't we will not, that is one thing I have to say. Send me some stamps, if there is any possible chance as it is impossible to get them. I wrote to Leon to send me some and you can find out whether he will or not and if he doesn't I want you to send me some, if you can. I expect to get 2 stamps to pay this letter and one to father, by paying him ten cents for them. The day of drawing pay is the first of September and if the stamps come, I will pay you or Leon, which one sends them. We have to pay high for paper, but we can get that. I am writing in good time for our Company has to go out on picket tomorrow at ten O'Clock, which will not give me much time to write. I want you to tell Leon to write and tell him how to direct his letter as I did not tell him myself. That is one thing I forgot. I want you to tell all my friends and relatives especially Mr. Shivelys family to write. Tell them to write just as many letters as they please. It won't make me mad. I would write to them and a good many others if I had anything to pay postage. Tell R.V. Short to write to me as I wrote the last letter. There is not using of talking for I would like to see you all of the folks, but I am doing very well. Give my respects to all enquiring friends and relatives. I will add no more at present, but remain your husband,

Signed: S.T. Smith to Mrs. E. Smith

P.S. I want you to write whether you got my carpet sack or not all the things in it and whether you got the things that was in the box and whether the cloths were distributed among them that the belonged. Yours with respect,

Samuel Smith to Elizabeth Smith


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home