Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hublerville, Randolph County, Va., Civil War Letters of Pvt. Sam Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment - On the Way to Missionary Ridge

October 30, 1861

Hublerville, Randolph Co., Va.

My Dearest Companion:

I recieved your letter dated the 20th of October, which gave me much satisfaction to hear from you. I am well at present and hope these few lines may find you well and doing well. I have just come in Camp off of the road. You spoke of being at Bill's stripping cane and that you had been sewing for money. Work will not hurt anyone if you do not work too hard. I think that you have got some money before this time so that you can get some wood and flour without working so hard but you need not quit working because I sent you some money. I sent you $20.00 to Milton Shorts by Express and I sent $20.000 to you by C.G. Barry that you will get in a day or two. I want you to let Phebe have $10 of that, and I will send you some more the first chance I will get. I will get two months pay pretty soon. I wrote to Mr. Helmer to get you your winter wood. You will save as much money as you can to pay for it. You say that Robersons called you a lair. Pay as little attention to them as possible. Conduct yourself in a way that everyone there can see whether you are a lair or not and if they keep throwing out their slang to you write me all about it and tell me what they say and I will see if I can hit them a dab or two. I don't think that liars were made until Robertson Family was made. Keep Joe away from them as you say they wanted you to do. I may be at home some time when they are not looking for me. They think that because I am here in Virginia that I will never be at home any more, that they can do as they please. While that might be the case but it is to be hoped for the better. I hope to see you some time before long and won't that be something nice. I would hate to be in Andy's place. That did look nice for a stay didn't it. Poor things. I feel sorry for them. Try and do a thing that they could not, and get caught at it besides that was a pity that is worse than I would do myself. Pete is well and hardy. Everything is quiet here at present. We are beginning to have some cold weather here, but not so cold but what we can sleep in our tents. I think that we will get out of here sometime but can't tell how long. I would like to be in a country where the sun can shine on us before noon. Lizzie I must come to close soon as I have not much room. I want you to do the best you can. Save your money to the best advantage. Give my love to who might enquire. Write soon, I remain your husband,

Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home