Sunday, January 07, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

(editor's note: read these letters from the beginning, May 10, 1861 to really get an idea of what it was to be a soldier during the American Civil War.)

July 10, 1861

Buchannon, Virginia

Dear Wife:

I take the opportunity to inform you that I am well at present. We landed here yesterday after a march of 28 miles. We were two days marching that distance. We had a company of Scouts of fifty men ahed of us and they took in a secessionist prisoner. As to the length of time we will stay here is beyond my knowledge. I don't think we will stay here long. I was one of a company of Scouts started out last night to take a secessionist, but we could not get any pilet to guide and we had to go back to camp. We don't have as nice time as we had at Lafayette and Indianapolis. We have to march through the rain and mud and eat pilot bread. Some of the boys think it hard living. They curse and swear to all destruction. There are several boys sick with the measles. There is one man they think might die, he is very bad sick. I know that there is one Captain in the Regiment that thinks that in less than three weeks we will be discharged,but for my part I don't think none of them knows, but as for as my part, I can't tell. I heard some of the boys say that about half of the Regiment would march tomorrow as a kind of Scouting Party and whether I will be one of the I don't know but I will not stand back an inch. They will be selected out of the stoutest men in the Regiment and I feel as stout as jack. I heard today that a cessionist was shot a day or two ago. It was said to be reliable he was badly wounded. he was going round making speeches trying to collect more men and some of the witnesses pluged it to him, which wa a Christian act. I have not received any pay yet, but I would like to have some as I need it very badly. I have not heard from you in a long time. I would be glad to hear from you and hear that you are well and all are doing well. May God bless you in my absents. I think of you often. There is about four or five hundred miles between us at this time which makes me thank of you with sadness. You must look to God as your helper and kind protector. I will add no more but remain your husband until death,

Signed: S.T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith

At the top of this letter printed is this statement: "To arms! To arms, ye brave! The avenging sword unsheath; March on; march on! all hearts resolved in liberty or death!"



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home