Friday, January 05, 2007

On the way to Missionary Ridge, letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

June 29, 1861

Indianapolis, Indiana

Dear Wife:

I am well at present hoping these few lines may find you all well. We have marching orders. We will leave tomarrow at two O'Clock P.M. for Grafton, Virginia. I will send my carpet sack home. It is directed to L.L. Smith. There is two shirts and a pair of drawers in it for Peter. I will tie the string to the key and tie the other end to one of the handles and will drop it inside and you press the jaws open and take it out. I have not time for writing for it is ten O'Clock and we are getting our equipements to night. I want you to keep perfectly cool as if there was nothing transpired. Remember me and pray for me nightly. And take good care of Joe and Ellen. You must excuse this writing for I am in a hurry. You need not write until I write you. No more at present but remain your husband until death,

Signed: S.T. Smith to Mrs. E. Smith
June 16, 1861
Camp Tippecanoe
Lafayette, Indiana

Dear Wife:
I am well at this time and I hope these few lines may find you enjoying the same blessings. I have nothing of important to write. We were mustered int the United States Service last Friday, but J.E. Dean is not our Captain. The General had appointed one Mr. White a very clever man I guess but doesn't know beans as far as military affairs is concerned. Jerry is First Lieutenant. It seems to me that I have no home since I left. I will not forget you all soon. May God be with you forever is my solomen sentiment. I want you to be cheerful as if there had nothing taken place but remember me as I don't expect to see you soon. We will get our uniforms tomorrow or next day. Give my respects to all enquiring friends. I remain your husband.

Signed: Sam T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith
P.S. I will send that stamp to Meck Robertson, S.T. Smith

May 25, 1861

Indianapolis, Indiana

Mrs. Smith:

Dear Wife, I am well at this time and I hope these few lines may find you well. We left Lafayette yesterday and came to this place. It is uncertain how long we will stay here. There is some talk that we will leave here next Monday as to the certainty I don't know. There is one Regiment of the Brigade that is gone already. Tell Leon to distribute these cloths to them that they are sent the familys. That picture you will get. I received those pictures you sent to me. I was glad to get them. I have nothing to write but remain your husband until death.

Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home