Friday, January 19, 2007

Camp Wickliffe, Ky., Letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

January 1, 1862
Camp Wickliffe,
Larue County, Kentucky

Mrs. Elizabeth Smith:

I am well at present hoping when these few lines come to your hands they may find you enjoying the same blessings. I recieved your letter Monday night dated the 20th of December. I was very glad to hear from you. I recieved the lock of hair that you sent me which pleased me very much and the letters that my children so dear sent me. You wanted to know of me if I wanted any mittens. I can tell you that I don't need them as I have a good pair of gloves. I paid just two dollars for them let them be good or bad I would like for you to knit me two pairs of socks and send me if you have the materials, as the socks that I get here are not worth much of any thing. I brought one pair the other day of old Kentucky knit. I paid twenty five cents for them. You also wanted to know whether I had warm clothes or whether I needed any bed cloths. The cloths that Sam is wearing at present is warm enough for the weather so far and as for the blankets I have plenty of them at least as many as I can manage. I have two that will weigh about six pounds each, and those I have to pack on my back. The next cloths that I get will be some heavier. We have had some of the finest weather here that I ever saw for this time of year. We had a little snow on Sunday night after we got to Louisville. It lay on the ground one or two days and then we had fair weather all the time except a little squall and cool nights. It is not here like it was in Virginia. Sun shines every day in a week and one day of week it rained in Virginia. We have good tents. They are about fifteen feet wide at the bottom and about the same high end right around and so arrainged that we can have a fire in them and keep warm. It looks some like rain today and it is warm and pleasant. I expect we will have some bad weather I guess. I known that just because you have cold wather there is no sign that we will have the same. Lizzie you said that you had a very nice time at Christmas. So did I standing guard though if I can call that nice. I would like to have been there with you. You said that you women all flocked together like a flock of geese and talked about your men that had gone to war. Lizzie I would like to be somewhere there when you were all talking so you did not know that I was there for awhile I guess you can't flock with Miss Chaney but perhaps I may guess wrong, if I do you can tell me. You said that you had plenty to eat and to ware. I am glad to hear that for I have plenty myself with the exception of some rare times. I would not like to have plenty to eat myself and my family at home suffering for want of something to eat. It is bad enough to be away from them and to know that they are doing well. Lizzie I want you to have your picture taken and send it to me as soon as you can. I wrote to Leon to make me a pair of boots and send to me. Tell him to make them without fail and to make them on his Stoga tens. Don't fail to tell him and tell him to put them up forthwith as I don't know how long we will stay here. I am satisfied that he will not loose anything by so doing. Lizzie I think I am as hearty as I ever was and it would do you good if you were here to watch me eat. Uncle Sam's biscuits, such as the one I sent Leon, and that was a good one, to some that I have eaten. I will write more on another sheet. (next page missing) by of him let him go to Texas and pay your moment to someone that you think will not swindle you because they have the chance. For I want the money that I send home to do you some good or else I will not send it. I earned it hard and when I get it and send it home it is harder for men to swindle you out of it because they can. You wanted me to tell him about it the next time I wrote to him. I don't know whether I will or not. You said that you would not have the money to spare to pay Worley. If you don't have it to spare don't pay him but manage to pay Mr. Helmer for the wood that he has hauled for you as I represented him to furnish you the wood, and he said he should have the money for it and I want to be as good as my word. You said that there was nothing strange happened but you would like to see me. It would be very pleasant if we could if we could see each other. I want you to tell me something about Sarah. I have not heard any thing of her for sometime and give her my bet wishes. I will not get to be at home Christmas but I will (be?) some where I guess. I would like to be there if I would come, but however it will do some other time. Well Lizzie I want you to have your picture taken while you are so fleshy if you have the chance. If there is not artist there go to Bedford get a good picture and send it to me by mail. Get some one to fix it up for you and postage will cost 12 or 15 cents. I will have to close. Give my respects to all friends that are friends in deed, I remain your husband:

Signed: Sam T. Smith


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home