Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

May 19, 1861
Camp Tippecanoe
Lafayette, Indiana

My Dear Wife:
I am well at present and would be glad to hear from you and the babes. I received a box of provisions last Thursday which gave me great satisfaction to know that I am remembered at home, for there are not many hours in the day but what I think of my home, my wife and my little ones. May God bless you all in my prayer. We went to the city last evening and received our guns, but we are making poor headway drilling. The Governor visited our Camp yesterday. There were ten companies put in a line to receive him. There was a disturbance last Thursday night in Camp. Some time in the day there was one of the citizens put in the guard house and at night there were some men come and made an attact on the Sentinel with rocks. The Sentinel fired on them with their revolvers, and it is thought that there was one of them killed, at least it is reported so. Give my best regards to Milton Shorts folks. Tell them that I thank them kindly for the presents they sent me. I want you to write as soon as you get this letter. Tell Leon to write as I have
written to him and have no answer yet. Give my respect to the Ladies of Springville. May God bless them. I will add no more but remain your husband.Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home