Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Letters from Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

May 24, 1861

Camp Tippecanoe

Lafayette, Indiana

My Dear Wife:

I received your letter yesterday which gave me great satisfaction to know that you are all well. I am well and I would be thankful to know that these few lines may find you enjoying the same blessing. You must kiss the children for me. I would like to see them and you also. I am not going to forget you soon. I remember you often. It makes me sad to know that we are some distant a part and probably forever, but you must not take it to heart. Perhaps the next letter you get from me you will hear that I have been mustered in the United States Service for three years and then I will go to parts unknown to me at present. It will be ascertained shortly, perhaps tomorrow. I am glad that you got the shoes I sent you. The next time you write you must tell me how they fit. If I ever get any money I think I will get a pair each for the children. We have got no money nor cloths yet. I would like for you if you have a chance to get the likenesses of the children and send them to me and also yours. It you can't get Pauline's taken don't send any. I want them all if I can get them. When I get some money I will have my picture taken and send it to you. When You write again tell me what arrangement you have with Leon or whether he is bourding with you or not. I want you to send Joe to School every day when you can. When there is a good teacher, tell him I want him to see how much he can learn while I am gone and I will send him some nice books, if he will lean as fast as he can. If I have the chance. I have just been and got my cattridge bore. I got my gun last Saturday. I understood since I commence writing that we will get our uniform tomorrow, but whether there is any truth in it or not, I would be glad if there was cloths. I am needing them. We had liked to had a row in Camp Wednesday evening on the account of the guard house. It was reported there was body lice in it. Some of the guard set fire to it, but it was put out. It took three or four companies to guard it to keep them from burning it. The next day at 12 O'Clock it was set on fire and burned down and they are satisfied; all quiet. I have nothing more to write and if I had would not have the room. Do the best you can until I see you. I remain your husband.

Signed: Samuel T. Smith to Elizabeth Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home