Monday, January 01, 2007

Letter of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Vounteer Infantry Regiment

May 12, 1861
Camp Tippycanoe, one half mile from Layfayette, Indiana
Dear Wife,
I am well hoping these few lines may find you enjoying the same Blessing. We have had some hard bats in our company. We left Indianapolis last Friday evening half past six o’clock. Some of the boys in the company snatched three or four hats off the boys’ heads that were at the station and passed on.
Mrs. Smith it would be pleasant if I were there to pass off some of the lonely hours that you have to contend with. I pray for you to be of good cheer. I would like to be there with the children around me. I don’t want you to think that I am getting homesick. We have good quarters to sleep in. There are about 10 companies in our camp. Our company has just been mustered into the state service for 12 months and after that was over we had preaching in camp. Some of the soldiers listened to the preaching in which I was one and some were playing cards. Some were swearing. It is cool today. Give my respect to all enquiring friends and relation. Write as soon as you get this letter to Layfeytte, Tippecanoe County, Indiana in care of Captain Short. I remain your affectionate husband,
Samuel Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home