Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Camp Wickliffe, Ky., Letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

January 28, 1862
Camp Wickliffe, Kentucky
Mrs. Smith,
Dear Wife:

I am thankful that I can sit down to write to you to let you know that Iam well at present hoping when these few lines come to hand they may find you enjoying the same blessing. I recieved your letter dated January 234d which made me glad. I am glad to hear from you often. You wanted to know of me if I had to drill when I was sick. I have never missed a drill yet for I have not been so sick but what I could do duty when I was called upon. The boys either have to drill or got to the doctor and be excused which I never have had to do yet but don't know how soon I may have to go there. I hope not soon because that is not very pleasant. As for the boots for Pete I wrote an order in a letter that I wrote to you for him to make just such a pair as me made me but you certainly did not get the letter. But I will write a letter to him and send with this and you can give it to him. The boots that were sent to me I have not got yet and I am afraid that I will not get them. I can't get a letter from Leon to know anything about them. I need them and would like to have them for I don not like to loose the pay for them and not get them or I would not have sent for them. You said that you had understood that we had moved from where we are but that is a mistake and I don't know when we will move and don't care. I was sorry to hear that you had to quit going to school for I am anxious that you should learnto write letters for yourself and also to read the same that I send you. I know that you can learn if you will try.

You said that you had heard that there had been a battle at Somorset but it was not there but was about three miles from that place. I was very glad hear that myself to hear that old PUlaski is cleaned out and to hear that the Old Devil Yolicoffer was killed. It may look bad for a man to be glad to hear of the death of a man but it does me good to hear of the death of a traiter. I will think that he got a traiter's death which I think that was a great many of thatm will get before this war is over. Well Lizzie you can see that I will soon have to quit. You must do the best you can and if I cannot get my boots I will have to do without them. Give my respects to all enquiring friends and relation. So no more at present, I remain your huband until death, write soon,

Signed: S.T. Smith.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home