Monday, February 19, 2007

Bowling Green, Kentucky, Letters of Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

March 6, 1862

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Mrs. Smith, Dearest and Most Precious Companion:

I am enjoying moderate health at this time. I am not as well as I was when I wrote you the last time as I have a small touch of diarrhea, but not very bad and I hope that it will not be very bad. When I wrote the last letter I was within four miles of Bowling Green, and now we are across the river about one mile beyond Bowling Green. Well Lizzie you ought to see the soldiers making mules of themselves pulling the wagons up the river bank. Since writing the above I received a letter from you and Tish and Abe which I was glad to hear from you all but sorry to hear of the sickness of Dock Wess. I wrote in my other letter for you not to send me anything to eat. I did not know when I would go nor I don’t know yet, but have an idea. I think we will go to Nashville, Tennessee, and if we go there you can send me something right straight as long as the railroad runs straight through with the exception of some of the bridges that the devils burned down. If you send me anything, send me an assortment of everything that you think will keep until I get it. If you send anything, you had better direct it to Nashville, Tennessee. If I had a stuffed hen today it would suit me fine. I have had nothing to eat of consequences for about four days. Don’t understand me that we have nothing at all, but I will tell you the provisions have been scanty which is always the case when we are on the march, and even if we have plenty all of the time I would still like to have something of your fixing up anyhow. Well Lizzie if you can send me a chicken or two and some peas and some cakes and fruits and such things, pitch-in. Leon can tell you how to direct it. If you send anything, send it as soon as you can as it is uncertain how long we will stay in one place. I understand we will get some money when we get to Nashville, and if I get any I will send some home forthwith and that will please you I know, and I know that it will please me. Lizzie I want you to send me some stamps if you can get them anyways for I am about out and when I get out writing will stop until I get some from home for there is no chance to get any here. I want you to send me a box of pills such as we use to get that is a kind that acts on the liver. Well Lizzie I will have to come to a close as I have written all that I can think of at this time and if I could think of ever so much I don’t feel like writing. Tell Tish and Abe that I don’t feel well enough to answer their letter at this time. Give them my best respects. Tell them I will write them a letter sometimes when I feel well enough. They can get the news that I have to write by reading this letter. You must excuse this letter for it is badly written. Lizzie you must do the best you can, and I will do the same. Give my respects to friends and relations. No more at present.
I remain your husband as ever,
Sam T. Smith


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home