Saturday, December 30, 2006

Letters from the American Civil War, Pvt. Sam T. Smith, 15th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Letters from the American Civil War, Pvt. Sam T. Smith to his wife Elizabeth in Springivlle, Indiana

April 20, 1861
Indianapolis, Indiana
Dear Mrs. Elizabeth Smith,
I take this opportunity to inform you that I am well at present hoping these lines may find you enjoying the same blessing. We are stationed here to drill for a time unknown at present. Our company was divided today and about thirty sent home. There were some glad for the chance. There were two stables burned down today. I want you to keep things straight. Take the best care of the little ones; be certain to keep Joe under you thumb. I will close. I have nothing of importance to write.
Samuel T. Smith

May 9, 1861
Camp Morton, Indianapolis, Indiana
My Dear Wife,
I am well at present hoping these few lines through the mercies of God may find you enjoying the same blessing. I have not received a letter from you, only the one that Dean brought to me. I have been anxiously looking for a letter from you and Leon. The object of this letter is to inform you again that you need not write until I write you again as we expected to leave here tomorrow, bound for Layfayette, Indiana. I started a letter to K.M. Short last Monday. You can tell him not to write but when I get stationed again and write you. I want you to write forthwith. I would like to see you and the babies, but that will not take place soon. No more at present.
S.T. Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home