Friday, February 18, 2005

Pappy Boyington sells his book...and so does...

Several years ago now I chanced to be at one of the Confederate Air Force* shows at Harlingen, Texas, and I got to see Pappy Boyington, the famous World War II fighter pilot. I saw him at a table inside a big building in a sort of booth, that he, no doubt, had rented to sell and autograph his book. I can't remember the name of his book, but I think it was "God is My Co-Pilot."
You know of Pappy Boyington, right? He was in the Marine Corps and flew fighter planes in the South Pacific.
Back to his book signing session in Harlingen, though, the funniest thing had to be this:
--Pappy Boyington sat at a table at one end of a sort of row of other tables of people selling all sorts of things. There was a sign above him and then on space behind him telling people who he was and advertising his book.
--Now the crazy part: just around the corner from Pappy Boyington was another booth occuppied by guess who? A Japanese fighter pilot, and guess what the sign over his booth said: "The man who shot Pappy Boyington Down."
Now I don't know if they were friends or not, and I'm not sure who sold the most books. You'd think the Japanese pilot should have, but I doubt he did.


*The Confederate Air Force is an organization of aviation enthusiasts who collect, restore and fly aircraft from World War II. Those of you in the United States may be aware of it every summer when its members fly World War II aircraft all around the country and put them on display at airports. One of the most famous of its planes is "FiFi" a B-29 bomber. The Confederate Air Force is now located between Midland and Odessa, Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home